Sunday, February 24, 2008

Young Love

Oma was 13 when her dear mother & their new baby passed away during child birth. Her dad had a difficult time having to go to work each day and worrying about his 4 children. Even though Mama became the mom and did her best with cooking and cleaning her dad needed help and probably companionship. There was a sister in their Branch that was a Sunday School teacher. She was an older lady who was about her dad's age which was about 40 years old. She had never been married and was very happy when this handsome, eligible Johann Drews asked her to marry him.

This Sunday School teacher had been engaged to be married when she was 20 years old. She was so young and so in love with her ambitious fiancee. He told her he was going to America, find a job, a place to live and then they would get married. I can just imagine how excited and happy she must have been as she kissed her fiancee good-bye and waved to him tearfully as he stepped on to the Titanic.

3 comments:

Jenni S said...

Oh, that's such a bittersweet story. Also, I can't believe Oma had to be the mom at 13 to help out her siblings. She was definately a born leader. Such a sweetie.

Tiff and Rand said...

Wow, I have chills all over! It's amazing what an impact these stories make as I read them, I've heard them before but they are SO amazing to me. I'm in awe with what Oma had to go through in her lifetime. I remember how she would cry at even the mention of the Titanic, probably thinking of what her poor step-mom went through earlier in life.

Robyn said...

Wow!! I don't know what else to say. As I was reading this story it felt like one of those movies where it's going along and it just suddenly ends and you are left sitting there going "wow". This is such a neat blog, thank you so much mom for doing this. I love to read these stories.