I saw this free blog background and just had to put it on Mama's stories because it's called "Pieces of Heaven" which I thought was darling. I have wanted to write something about Mama for a long time but just haven't had any ideas. SO, I thought I would just ramble for a while and see where it leads me.
I remember coming home from school and looking everywhere for something yummy to eat but not finding anything. Mama would come home from work and in just an hour she would have the best dinner on the table and I could not figure out how she could make something from nothing. She had such a talent for that. Whenever she would visit our home Mama would make "Koenigberger Klopse" which are kind of like Swedish Meatballs but not. She would take hamburger, ground sausage, hard rolls that were pretty old and very hard that she would grate, eggs, onions and salt and pepper. She would mix it all with her hands and make meatballs. Then she would turn and put them gently into a pot of boiling water one at a time. When the meatballs were pretty much done, she would magically turn the water into a thin white gravy where she would add capers and salt and pepper to taste. We'd have this over potatoes and it was the best. I wish I could find the real recipe somewhere. When I was first married, I watched Mama make this and I copied it all down but could never find it again when I looked for it.
Whenever Mama would visit us, that's what my kids would ask her to cook, plus the neighborhood kids would want to eat over. She was always so much fun and could cook with a smile on her face and a song on her lips. What a darling lady. I miss her so much. Remember to tell your mom you love her and hug her whenever you can because she won't last forever, in this life anyway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I LOVE YOU MOM! That dinner sounds so good. Yes, I do remember it & wish I had the recipe too! Ach! Why don't your sisters know it!? Anyway, I love Oma & wish I could have some cooking lessons from her. I really want to learn how to cook foreign dishes...especially soups from Belgium - pureed heaven!!
Love you mom! I remember it too, mmmm. Yummy! She really was a great cook. What a great talent. I didn't inherit it though. I think Juli got that one.
I love you too, mom. I love your memories of Oma. I miss her so much. I want to hear/read more.
LOVE YOU MOM!!! Sorry I'm almost 2 years late at posting that on here! Ha. Woops! How in the world did I miss that!? I love reading these memories you have.
Post a Comment