Friday, January 25, 2008
Rations for My Sister
In 1939 Germany went to war when Adolph Hitler came into to power.He made all Jews wear a band around their arm that had the Star of David on it proclaiming to everyone who was a Jew and who wasn't. These poor Jews were treated very badly being thrown out of their homes and having all of lifes little memories and pleasures taken away. Oma Becker was able to receive enough rations for her family because they had quite a few mouths to feed. One day as she started out to buy food with her rations, she saw a very thin and sad woman about a block away from her and as she came closer she noticed that she was wearing the Star of David on her sleeve. She caught the womans eye and Oma looked to the ground and then up again. The Jewish woman didn't quite understand until Oma did it again and then dropped a ration ticket on to the ground. The woman closed her eyes and smiled as she stopped and stood on the ticket and Oma smiled also as they passed each other by. After a while, the Jewish woman stooped down, picked up the ticket, put it in her pocket and probably went shopping. I love to think about how these two women felt. One who gave and one who received. It reminds me of the Hymn "Because I Have Been Given Much I Too Must Give". For just a moment, two women who had never met became sisters because they had the same Heavenly Father loving them and protecting them. I'm sure that day as the Jewish woman brought food home to her family they thanked their Heavenly Father for the woman who saved their lives yet another day. I also believe that as I tell you this story, someone else is telling the story from the view of their Jewish Oma.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thanks SO much mom. I'm so excited to have these stories that we can read whenever we want upliftment or need something for a talk. I love this story a lot. I'm grateful for Oma's example of love & faith - she didn't fear. Amazing.
Thank you so much for making this site! This is so neat. It looks really good too. I love you! Thanks for sharing.
Ok, I'm BAWLING! Just the title alone gave me chills. To be able to know someone so amazing is a blessing, but to have her as my very own Oma...WOW! She was so strong, had unwavering faith and huge amounts of courage. She is one of the greatest examples in my life. Thank you SO much for sharing this story, it's one of my favorites. Love you.
Post a Comment